By Samantha Ewing ’23 (she/her), SGA Correspondent

October 1st, 2020

Attendance:

  • Absent unexcused: Jess Villiger and Nilay G.

Agenda:

  1. A call to order
  2. Swearing in the First-Year senators
  3. Introductions
  4. Pass last week’s minutes
  5. Gallery response
  6. Board of trustees meeting 
  7. Picnic blankets
  8. Black Lives Matter Mural
  9. COVID- 19
  10. Brainstorming
  11. Monuments initiative 
  12. Announcements
  13. Adjourn

Takeaways and Updates:

  • Skylar: PCC meal issues are solved for the most part
  • Zane and Sebastian met with the tech stewardship committee- they are making plans to increase mobile access and are considering switching from outlook to google

Board of Trustees meeting: 

  • Brandon appointed Zane, Alex S, and TJ to Board of Trustees Committee.
  • They discussed what the SGA has been doing and what the students want them to know.
  • The Chair of the board was also in the meeting and she was interested in getting the trustees funding the textbook program.
  • They discussed renaming Chambers, as well as some grants, scholarships, and other buildings.
  • They discussed SGA’s role as student leaders with the upcoming election. It is their responsibility as leaders in the community to ensure that life goes on even though one party will inevitably be unhappy with the election results in November. 

Picnic blankets: came in last week and we now have 200-300 of them. A couple of SGA members volunteered to create a distribution plan.

Mural: TJ Elliot is working with other people in SGA to get a BLM mural in front of chambers. They are discussing other ideas for locations as well. 

COVID 19 committee: No updates this week

Brainstorming:

  • New committees – which are appropriate/relevant right now? Do we change some? Add new ones?
  • Sustainability ideas, mental health resource awareness, SGA election reform – encouraging people to vote for ideas and not people, idea about starting a program to pair/help freshman meet each other in a COVID-safe way, idea to send survey to see how freshman are feeling about virtual efforts that have already been made for them to engage with the community 

Monuments Initiative: presentation by Alex Suarez

  • Open Patterson Court: How is Patterson Court set up now and is it effectively serving the community? The goal is to make Patterson Court a space where everyone can find community whether they are involved in the Greek Life organizations that have housing there or not.
  • Get involved: two avenues for direct involvement. Open hours- attend open weekly zoom meetings. Written perspectives- submit them. 
  • Game plan for proposal:

October 8th, 2020

Attendance: 

  • Absent unexcused: Nilay Ghatlia, Sebastian Charmot 

Agenda:

  1. A call to order
  2. Pass last week’s minutes
  3. Gallery response
  4. Review SGA initiatives
  5. Drug policy for student athletes
  6. Davidson votes
  7. Announcements
  8. Adjourn 

Takeaways and Updates:

  • Nahi Nadra was sworn in today as a voting member of the SGA
  • Food and Housing: Skylar McVicar gave an update. The entire meal plan system is to be reconstructed. More info to come.
  • A survey was sent out to first year students to see how they are doing finding community here with COVID 
  • Yunah Han discussed idea to have POC social gathering so that first year POC can feel a sense of community
  • Brandon Harris discussed ideas for making SGA more efficient. They are going to move away from committees and instead begin organizing by working on specific projects
  • Members of the SGA discussed and were assigned to projects about a variety of issues. Project topics include: mental health survey (follow up) and support, sustainability plans, COVID-safe social and recreation opportunities for students, support for remote students, support system for cases of sexual assault, inclusive spaces on campus, campus food quality, addressing fraternity hazing, support for POC, building community with COVID (esp. for freshmen), resource development for diversity and inclusion 
  • Nico Agosta gave a presentation “Davidson Against Drug Policing” on an initiative to change the drug-testing policy for athletes. Their proposal is to stop testing student athletes for marijuana, stop testing based on reasonable suspicion, to do what they can to reinstate financial aid for students that have been affected by the policy.
  • Joe DeMartin spoke about the Davidson Votes Initiative. Their goal is to have every eligible voter at Davidson registering and voting. Joe also requested that a survey be sent out to the student body to gauge how students are voting(in mail, in person, etc.) this would help the initiative better serve the student body with resources to help facilitate their voting process.

October 15th, 2020

Attendance: 

  • Absent unexcused: Nilay Ghatlia, Quincy Weary

Agenda:

  1. A call to order
  2. Pass last weeks minutes 
  3. Gallery response 
  4. SGA projects
  5. Monuments Initiative
  6. Trustees email
  7. Student athlete drug policy 
  8. Meal plans discussion 
  9. Announcements
  10. 10. Adjourn 

Takeaways and Updates:

Members of SGA spent a good portion of their meeting narrowing down ideas for projects to work on. They reviewed the Monuments Initiative and would love to hear thoughts from the general student body about repurposing spaces on campus. They also began an ongoing discussion about whether or not to endorse an amendment to the student athlete drug policy. During announcements, the COVID committee mentioned that they are working to address concerns about social distancing among the students on weekends. Finally, at the end of the meeting, Richard Terry shared a proposed meal plan structure for the 2021- 2022 school year.

Special shoutout to Skylar McVicar — She is constantly formulating and executing ideas to make day-to-day life better for students at Davidson. She helped bring broccoli back to the Union menu and discussed an idea to add new art classes to the school curriculum.

October 22nd, 2020

Attendance:

  • Everyone was present

Agenda:

  1. Call to order
  2. Pass last week’s minutes
  3. Gallery response
  4. SGA projects
  5. Drug Policy updates
  6. Mental Health Survey Results
  7. Bylaws Proposal
  8. Senior Priority Discussion
  9. Announcements
  10. Adjourn

Takeaways and Updates: 

During this meeting, four SGA members were assigned to each new project, and several members gave updates on projects and initiatives that are already being worked on: Israel Palencia discussed the mural initiative on campus. They have been meeting with a planner and have been working on establishing dimensions for the mural. They are also considering adding a section where student organizations on campus can contribute their own portion to it. Sandro and Yunah discussed possible solutions to reduce plastic waste on campus from cutlery. The COVID committee has been brainstorming ideas for COVID- safe Halloween festivities. Eleni gave an update on the possible Drug Policy amendment. Deen Haleem reviewed the results of the mental health survey and members of SGA discussed ways to go about improving mental health resources on campus. Lastly, Deen discussed a proposal to make a change the SGA finance section of the bylaws. Members of SGA will likely be voting on this proposal next week.